Welcome        Walking Tours        Feedback        Contact        Links        Credits


The Trades House was created on 6th February 1605, to represent the interests of the craftsmen of the city. The House consists of fourteen craft Incorporations: the hammer men (metalworkers), tailors, cordiners (leather goods), malt men, weavers, bakers, skinners, wrights (skilled carpenters), coopers, fleshers (tradesmen who provided meat for the city), masons, barbers and the incorporation of bonnet makers and dyers. Nowadays, many of the members are connected to their craft incorporations in only the loosest sense. For instance, hammer men might well be engineers or accountants, barbers might be brain surgeons or surveyors! Nowadays, the Trades House is mainly a fund-raising organisation.

Location: Glassford Street

Erected: 1605

See also:

Letter of Guildry

Merchant’s House

    People        Places        Stories