Welcome        Walking Tours        Feedback        Contact        Links        Credits


The original St David's (Ramshorn) Church was built in 1720, but the current building was not erected until 1824 by Birmingham architect Thomas Rickman. The burying ground on the north side was one of the most fashionable burying grounds in the late 1700s and early 19th century.

David Dale, the cotton mill owner with a revolutionary attitude to his workforce, is buried on the site.

Dale's gravestone can be found halfway along the east outer wall of the yard (plot 113).

On the eastern side of the church tower is a memorial stone to John Anderson. Anderson was responsible for the Andersonian Institute which later became Glasgow's University of Strathclyde, who now own the Ramshorn.

Location: Ingram Street, opposite Candleriggs

Erected: 1824

See also:

John Anderson

John Anderson’s memorial stone

David Dale

David Dale’s burial place

Granville Sharp Pattison

    People        Places        Stories